How to successfully close a job interview?
The first impression that you create for the people you meet for the first time, is very important and it can last long. The same thing happens when you leave, you can reinforce the good first impression you made or destroy all the good work you have done - people remember very well the last things that you have said or done.
Often it happens that when you finish the interview, you feel relieved, a situation which affects your behavior. Stay ready until you leave the interview site. Furthermore you can use the last few minutes of the interview to increase your chances for a more positive impression.
Greeting when leaving
- Usually it is the interviewer that signals the end of the interview.
What to do?
- Remain seated until the interviewer rises.
- Collect your things, to avoid any unpleasant waiting when you are ready to leave.
What to say?
- Let the interviewer to say "Goodbye" and then answer.
- If he/she does not first, then you take the initiative.
- Salute using phrases such as "Pleasure to meet you".
- Shake hands. If the interviewer doesn’t do first, then do you first.
Leaving the office and the building...
- Maintain a professional attitude until you fully leave the building. Even if there are no people, you can be observed through cameras.
- Avoid lighting of cigarette immediately after leaving the office of interview.
- Do not forget to salute and thank the receptionist.
What not to say?
- “Hope we’ll get in touch”
- “Please do not forget to let me know about the outcome”
- “Sorry for the delay”
- “I hope you find the right person” (Remember that you should assume that you are the right person, this is the image that you should cultivate).