Legal Advisor for National Level Waste Management
- Publish Date
- End Date
- Job Places
Job offer by GIZ
As an international cooperation enterprise for sustainable development with worldwide operations, the federally owned Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH supports the German Government in achieving its development-policy objectives. It provides viable, forward-looking solutions for political, economic, ecological and social development in a globalized world. Working under difficult conditions, GIZ promotes complex reforms and change processes. Its corporate objective is to improve people’s living conditions on a sustainable basis.
Municipalities in Kosovo face a huge challenge when it comes to providing services for their citizens. The political, legal and institutional framework is not geared to ensuring effective service provision; for example the country still lacks an organised system of waste management. The objective of the Sustainable Municipal Service (SMS) Programme is to develop a coherent legal framework that complies with EU standards and support municipalities to assume their new responsibilities for waste management.
In the past years GIZ SMS has focussed its support on local actors. Its success has created political attention and willingness to further reform the waste sector, especially to reduce landfilled waste. For this not only infrastructure, organisational and human capacities have to be build, but also the legal framework needs development. GIZ SMS currently supports the Ministry of Environment and Spatial Planning (MESP) to revise the National Solid Waste Management Strategy (NSWMS) and respective plan. Also, GIZ supports MESP to introduce Extended Producer Responsibility (EPR) through a system named Deposit Refund System (DRS) for beverage containers. For the EPR DRS to function private and public institution development is needed, as well as substantial public information and awareness. Also, for diverting other waste fractions from landfilling the NSWMS foresees development of similar EPR systems for Waste from Electronics and Electric Equipment (WEEE) and Used Oils, Accumulators and Batteries, etc.However, also on local level waste reforms require legal intervention and system building, especially in Pristina which has substantially changed its waste management operator model recently. To coordinate the advancement of circular economy reforms the Government has installed a Waste Steering Committee (SC) and respective Working Groups (WG).
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH,
Programme “Sustainable Municipal Services (Waste Management)” offers the vacancy for a:
Legal Advisor for National Level Waste Management
Overall Purpose of Post
The advisor will support MESP andKEPA to implement the NSWMS including the mentioned EPR DRS system and future reforms. The legal advisor might be partly seconded to the Cabinet of the Ministry.
Task and Responsibilities:
The advisor shall be responsible for:
- Legal advice to the Cabinet of the Ministry (MESP) on legal framework and institution development;
- Coordinate the international consultancy during the NSWMS and plan drafting;
- Coordinate and act as secretary for the national waste steering structure (SC and WG);
- Advancing the national level legal framework for specific waste fractions with focus on EPR;
- Support Pristina municipality to implement its waste reforms;
- Networkand cooperate with partner institutions to maintain good working relationships and to cooperate towards the project’s objectives;
- Donor coordination on various levels, particularly with Swiss Development Cooperation and EU;
- Prepare and implement workshops, seminars and other events;
- Supports project monitoring and updates information on project progress;
- Assists short-term experts assigned to projects in completing their tasks;
- Other tasks as needed and agreed with the team leader.
Qualifications and experience sought
- University degree, preferable Master in Law and/or Bar exam;
- Experience in related areas(environmental law, legal framework making) for at least eight years.
- Intensive project management and research experience in related areas.
- Effective writing and communication in English is required, Serbian and/or German is an asset.
- Highly motivated, structured and strategic thinking, well organized and independent working style.
- Proficient knowledge of Microsoft Office programs.
- Knowledge about the value of the environment, ecosystem and biodiversity.
- Service-oriented attitude and interpersonal skills, including adapting communication to different recipients and networking in Kosovo and with the international community.
- Able to establish good and considerate working relationship with all staff in the organization, demonstrating respect for their respective roles and responsibilities.
- Willingness to upskill as required by the tasks to be performed – corresponding measures are agreed with management
- Driving license B category
- The office based in the GIZ HQ in Pristina.
- Participation in field trips in whole Kosovo and beyond is expected,
GIZ encourages candidates from ethnic minorities and female candidates to apply.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their electronic application in English or German consisting of a letter of motivation, references and CV in the format: http://europass.cedefop.europa.eu/en/documents/curriculum-vitae/templates-instructions to email@example.com.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Subject of the email:Legal Advisor for National Level Waste Management
Deadline for the application:20. April 2018