Good Governance Advisor
- Publish Date
- End Date
- Job Places
Job offer by GIZ
As an international cooperation enterprise for sustainable development with worldwide operations, the federally owned Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH supports the German Government in achieving its development-policy objectives. It provides viable, forward-looking solutions for political, economic, ecological and social development in a globalized world. Working under difficult conditions, GIZ promotes complex reforms and change processes. Its corporate objective is to improve people’s living conditions on a sustainable basis.
Municipalities in Kosovo face a huge challenge when it comes to providing services for their citizens. The political, legal and institutional framework is not geared to ensuring effective service provision; for example the country still lacks an organised system of waste management. The objective of the Sustainable Municipal Service (SMS) Programme is to develop a coherent legal framework that complies with EU standards and support municipalities to assume their new responsibilities for waste management.
Under the leadership of three ministries and in cooperation with the German Development Bank (KfW) and other donors, the project successfully completed the Clean Environment Race (CER). CER is a performance-based grant scheme targeting 17 municipalities in Kosovo that compete on key-performance indicators to win investments. The scheme has created political attention and willingness to reform the waste sector and has improved municipal core processes, such as planning, budgeting and enforcement. Waste service providers have introduced measurable control and standardized processes that have led to an increased efficiency.
The transfer of the scheme to the government and its countrywide extension is now being prepared.It shall be aligned with a planned Performance Grant supported among others by Swiss Development Cooperation. It shall serve not only to provide an incentive to municipalities, but more importantly increase the overall good governance of all actors involved, including local and national accountability and transparency mechanisms. Concretely, SMS intends to introduce a functioning waste monitoring and reporting system, municipal responsiveness to citizens’ complaints via an App, increased capacity of the Performance Measurement System (PMS) of the Ministry of Local Government (MLGA) and Kosovo’s Environmental Protection Agency (KEPA), as well as functionalization of local and national inspectorates.
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH,
Programme “Sustainable Municipal Services (Waste Management)” offers the vacancy for a:
Good Governance Advisor
Overall Purpose of Post
The advisor will support Ministries, KEPA, municipalities, and two associations: Association of Kosovo Municipalities (AKM) and Kosovo Waste Operator (PAMKOS) and various donors to develop further the Performance Grant and good governance mechanisms.
Task and Responsibilities:
The advisor shall be responsible for:
- Plan, implement and coordinate the participatory process for the alignment of upcoming GIZ SMS funds with the municipal Performance Grant (PG);
- Develop and implement the capacity development strategy of waste related processes in the Ministry of Environment and Spatial Planning (MESP), KEPA, inspectorate and other actors.
- Support several municipalities to implement access criteria and performance indicators for PG.
- Support the development of the waste related M&E and reporting system of KEPA.
- Coordinate and implement specific waste-related research and knowledge management tasks.
- Networkand cooperate with partner institutions to maintain good working relationships and to cooperate towards the project’s objectives.
- Prepare and implement workshops, seminars and other events.
- Supports project monitoring and updates information on project progress.
- Assists short-term experts assigned to projects in completing their tasks.
- Other tasks as needed and agreed with the team leader.
Qualifications and experience sought
- Uuniversity degree, preferable Master or above, related to the project objectives.
- Work experience in related areas(good governance) for at least five years.
- Intensive project management and research experience in related areas.
- Effective writing and communication in English is required, Serbian and/or German is an asset.
- Highly motivated, structured and strategic thinking, well organized and independent working style.
- Proficient knowledge of Microsoft Office programs.
- Knowledge of social media tools (e.g. blogging, social networksand project management tools).
- Knowledge about the value of the environment, ecosystem and biodiversity.
- Service-oriented attitude and interpersonal skills, including adapting communication to different recipients and networking in Kosovo and with the international community
- Able to establish good and considerate working relationship with all staff in the organization, demonstrating respect for their respective roles and responsibilities.
- Willingness to upskill as required by the tasks to be performed – corresponding measures are agreed with management
- Driving license B category
- The office based in the GIZ HQ in Pristina.
- Participation in field trips in whole Kosovo and beyond is expected,
GIZ encourages candidates from ethnic minorities and female candidates to apply.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their electronic application in English or German consisting of a letter of motivation, references and CV in the format: http://europass.cedefop.europa.eu/en/documents/curriculum-vitae/templates-instructions to email@example.com.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Subject of the email:Good Governance Advisor
Deadline for the application:20. April 2018