Tax Policy and Administration Advisor
- Publish Date
- End Date
- Job Places
Recruitment for Chemonics International
Tax Policy and Administration Advisor
Chemonics is implementing the USAID-funded Kosovo Economic Governance Activity, a 5-year project that started in April 2019, to reduce public perception of and opportunities for economic corruption through improvement to economic governance, thereby encouraging investment in Kosovo’s economy. This result will be achieved through three main objectives:
- Business Environment Improvement;
- Strengthened Public Financial Management; and,
- Enhanced Strategic Communications.
The Tax Policy and Administration (TPA) Advisor will work in close cooperation with project staff to support and advise the Ministry of Finance, the Tax Administration of Kosovo, and private sector and non-governmental partners, in identifying and implementing reforms to reduce the burden of voluntary tax compliance, improve budgeting of tax reforms and public revenues, and increase the effectiveness of tax administration.
The TPA Advisor must have a deep understanding and interest for effective, public-validated, transparency and effective tax policy, legislation, and administration practices, familiarity with private sector development challenges, and knowledge of the revenue budgeting process. The TPA advisor must possess strong research and interpersonal skills to identify and facilitate cross-cutting tax governance reforms which reduce opportunities for and perceptions of corruption, incentivize revenue mobilization, and foster private sector trust in tax systems and overall development.
The TPA Advisor will facilitate strengthened cooperation between the Ministry of Finance and the Tax Administration with private sector stakeholders, including through: a) improved tax reform planning and implementation, b) publication of tax administration metrics for audits, tax refunds, and debt management performance, c) evidence-based costing of tax reforms and revenue budgeting. The Advisor will also support partner efforts to enhance risk-based audit selection and streamline tax administration requirements that improve the business environment.
The term of assignment is for the life of the project, subject to satisfactory performance. The TPA Advisor will, at all times, adhere to, and act according to Chemonics’ Professional Code of Ethics (“Living Our Values”).
SPECIFIC TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Facilitate structured dialogue and cooperation between the Ministry of Finance (MOF), the Tax Administration of Kosovo (TAK), and private sector partners, to identify, design, monitor, and evaluate tax policy and administration reforms that reduce the burden of tax compliance and foster tax administration integrity.
- In close collaboration with other donors, support TAK to improve the use of internal data and metrics to inform risk-based audit-selection.
- Support MOF and TAK to design and institutionalize metrics to better capture the tax administration performance, inform evidence-based revenue budgeting, and building public confidence in tax administration activities.
- Provide advisory support to build self-reliant MOF capacities for evaluating the fiscal impact of tax policy proposals and existing tax exemptions in support of evidence-based revenue budgeting.
- Support TAK efforts to further streamline and digitalize the tax refund process, and facilitate public-private dialogue and collaboration on the status and impact of tax refund reforms.
- Support MOF and TAK to utilize best international transparency practices to provide easily accessible tax information, including through mobile technologies.
- Work in close coordination with the project Public-Private Dialogue Advisor, Strategic Communications Advisor, and Monitoring, Evaluation, Learning and Analytics Advisor to identify and support opportunities to expand and institutionalize mechanisms for engagement between the government and the private sector, improve communications within government partners and between government and the private sector, and increase use of operational outcome-based performance metrics.
- Ensure collaboration with other objectives to find synergies and achieve project targets; Contribute to objective activities’ design under the direction of the PFM objective lead, with input from other team members and counterparts.
- Meet or exceed all quantitative project goals and performance deadlines linked to this position as articulated in the project Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning Plan and annual work plans.
- Submit required reports and deliverables in a timely fashion and in compliance with the program.
- Assume additional responsibilities as requested by the chief of party and/or the PFM objective lead.
- Experience - Minimum 2 years of relevant experience in tax governance or policy, tax advisory, or financial management, with a firm knowledge of tax policy, legislation, and tax administration practices. Private sector experience in advising taxpayers, business associations, or other forms of engagement, would be considered as an advantage.
- Education – Degree in economics, accounting, finance or related field.
- Language Skills – English and Albanian fluency, with excellent writing and presentation skills.
- Computer Skills - Advanced skills in using word processing (Microsoft Word) and spreadsheet (Microsoft Excel) as well as electronic communications programs.
- Interpersonal Skills – Proven ability to work professionally, constructively and collaboratively as part of team, meet deadlines, communicate effectively, and deal with diverse partners
- including high-level government officials, entrepreneurs and international donors) in a challenging environment.
- Self-Motivation and Guidance – Ability to manage daily activities and achieve expected results with or without direct oversight and effectively function in a complex, challenging environment.
Please send electronic applications, including ONLY a CV and cover letter, to KosovoEGArecruit@chemonics.com by May 31, 2019 no later than 4:00 PM. Please indicate the position title for which you are applying in the subject line. No telephone inquiries, please. Finalists will be contacted.
Chemonics is an equal opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, age, or other legally protected characteristics.