Senior Legal Advisor
- Publish Date
- End Date
- Job Places
SCOPE of Work
Senior Legal Advisor
The USAID Justice System Strengthening Program (JSSP) is an initiative to strengthen the rule of law in Kosovo. JSSP’s overarching purpose is to ensure that the rule of law takes root in Kosovo by improving the quality of the justice system. The program will build on USAID’s prior efforts to advance the rule of law to ensure that the justice system operates in a professional, efficient and accountable manner.
JSSP has three components. Component 1 will strengthen the efficiency and the effectiveness of the administration of justice and delivery of quality services by the Kosovo Judicial Council (KJC) and courts. Activities under this component focus on strengthening the capacity of the KJC, supporting the decentralization of administrative competencies to courts, improving KJC capacity to develop its budget, improving the independence and capacity of court administrators and staff, and strengthening court operations and processes.
Component 2 will work to enhance the accountability and professionalism of justice system institutions and actors. Activities under this component focus on improving ethics, discipline, communications, judicial decisions, and continuing legal education within the judiciary. Assistance will also be provided to the Constitutional Court of Kosovo.
Component 3 will support the integration of judicial structures in the North. Activities in this component focus on facilitating the integration of judges and courts in the North and include facilitating transfers of court operations from Vushtrri, renovating of northern courthouses, improving case management and backlog reduction, and strengthening the capacity of judges and staff in the North.
Under the supervision of the COP and the DCOP the Senior Legal Advisor will be responsible for coordinating program development and implementation under JSSP. He/she will serve as a key advisor to the Kosovo Judicial Council and its leadership. He/she will plan, manage and oversee the JSSP activities at the Council, work closely with the key committees and assist in drafting, reviewing and commenting primary and secondary legislation and formulating policies to promote an efficient, accountable and transparent judiciary. JSSP will assist the KJC to identify key policy priorities and introduce a disciplined approach to policy development and implementation, implement the framework for judicial performance, accountability and transparency. JSSP plans to engage a Senior Legal Advisor to provide continues intermittent advice to the KJC and its Chairman thru the year in maintaining their focus on strategic policy priorities including efficiency, accountability, transparency, performance and case-flow management.
Candidates for the position of SENIOR LEGAL ADVISOR should be able to:
- Design and oversee program implementation under the JSSP activities to improve the legal and policy framework governing the judiciary in Kosovo.
- Serve as a legal advisor for project activities, prepare research summaries, review and draft commentaries of primary and secondary legislation, draft legal memoranda and formulate policy recommendations.
- Design and oversee implementation, monitoring, and reporting of activities to introduce the mandatory legal education for the judiciary, develop mechanisms to monitor participation, and formulate policies setting the minimum or maximum number of hours for legal education.
- Deliver technical assistance and policy guidance to KJC and KJI to support development of circulates for MCLE
- Act as a liaison with the KJC and other justice-related institutions, and civil society organizations.
- Attend, participate in, and/or report on formal and informal meetings with counterparts, including members of the KJA, judges, lawyers, court legal clerks, court personnel, and related groups, and partners, including relevant donor-funded projects.
- Conduct and/or monitor training in areas relevant to project activities, in collaboration with colleagues and counterparts.
- Prepare, or assist in preparing, annual program work plan, implementation schedules, performance monitoring plan, policy papers and position papers, and periodic reports required by USAID, including quarterly and annual progress report.
- Do such other tasks as assigned by the Chief of Party or Deputy Chief of Party from time to time.
Candidates for the position of SENIOR LEGAL ADVISOR should possess the following qualifications:
- University degree in law required. LLM degree preferred.
- Seven to ten years of experience in legal sector reform, preferably working on donor-funded legal or justice system reform projects in Kosovo.
- Knowledge of organizational and procedural laws governing the work of the KJC and the courts.
- Strong research background and excellent writing and communication skills. Demonstrated capacity to prepare legal documents, memoranda, and reports.
- Strong organizational skills, rigorous attention to detail, and problem-solving abilities needed to perform effectively in a demanding position.
- Demonstrated ability in establishing and maintain excellent working relationship with counterparts.
- Demonstrated ability to work as part of a team to achieve complex results under strict deadlines.
- Demonstrated commitment to ethics, transparency, and accountability in program implementation.
- Excellent spoken and written English and Albanian, Serbian desirable.
The Expert shall be under the supervision and will report to the JSSP Chief of Party and JSSP’s Deputy Chief of Party.
Location of Assignment
The DCOP will be based in Pristina, Kosovo with travel to courts located in other municipalities.
Interested applicants should apply by submitting a CV, cover letter, and three references via email, with “Senior Legal Advisor” as the subject line, to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, September 13, 2019, at 16:00.
Late applications will not be considered. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. No phone calls will be accepted. Any attempts to otherwise contact USAID or JSSP about this solicitation will result in immediate disqualification.