Construction Legalization Advisor
- Publish Date
- End Date
- Job Places
Recruitment for Chemonics International
Construction Legalization Advisor
The USAID-funded Kosovo Economic Governance Activity is a 5-year project started in April 2019 to reduce public perception of and opportunities for economic corruption through improvement to economic governance, thereby encouraging investment in Kosovo’s economy. This result will be achieved through three main objectives:
- Business Environment Improvement;
- Strengthened Public Financial Management; and,
- Enhanced Strategic Communications.
As part of the Business Environment Improvement Component, the Construction Legalization Advisor will support the implementation of the Government of Kosovo construction legalization program (GoK legalization program) launched in 2018 with the adoption of the new Law on Treatment of Construction Without Permits. The Construction Legalization Advisor will provide this support by facilitating active dialogue and cooperation between two partner municipalities selected by the Activity (including one non-majority municipality, where a significant portion of the Construction Legalization Advisor’s efforts will be focused), the central government, and private sector partners leading to full and effective implementation of the process (as reflected in number of buildings fully legalized). The term of assignment is initially for one (1) year, with the possibility of extension and subject to satisfactory performance. The Construction Legalization Advisor shall at all times adhere to, and act according to Chemonics’ Professional Code of Ethics (“Living Our Values”).
Specific Tasks and Responsibilities
- Provide technical advice and support the improvement of overall coordination of activities in the GoK legalization program between the two partner municipalities of the Activity, the Ministry of Environment and Spatial Planning (MESP) and other central government bodies and private sector partners.
- Facilitate the development and implementation of solutions to any gaps in structure, resources, secondary legislation, knowledge, process information (manuals), public outreach and monitoring practices to effectively implement the GoK legalization program by working closely with the two partner municipalities, private sector partners, and central government bodies.
- Identify, secure buy-in for cooperation, and advise partners in the two partner municipalities throughout implementation of the legalization program, including through supporting public outreach, performance publication to national bodies and the public, and identifying / addressing challenges to successful implementation.
- Work in close coordination with the project Public-Private Dialogue Advisor, Strategic Communications Advisor, and Monitoring, Evaluation, Learning and Analytics Advisor to identify and support opportunities to expand and institutionalize mechanisms for engagement between the municipal level, central government and the private sector to implement the GoK legalization program, improve communications within government partners and between government and the private sector, and increase use of operational outcome-based performance metrics to track legalization progress.
- Mentor and assist any cooperating private sector partners to support their outreach and engagement to citizens to participate in the GoK legalization program in the two partner municipalities.
- Other tasks as required.
- Cooperate with other components to find synergies and achieve project targets; Contribute to component activities’ design under the direction of the Business Environment Improvement Component Lead, with input from local team and counterparts.
- Meet or exceed all quantitative project goals and performance deadlines linked to this position as articulated in the project Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Plan and annual work plans, including the number of buildings fully legalized in the two partner municipalities.
- Experience (Required) - Minimum 8 years of general working experience and minimum 4 years of working experience in governance administrative process improvement and / or business environment reform. Specific working experience in an area related to construction legalization, construction permitting, spatial planning or related field is strongly preferred.
- Education (Required) – University degree in civil engineering, architecture, or related field.
- Language Skills (Required) – English, Serbian and Albanian fluency, with excellent writing and presentation skills. Excellent writing and presentation skills in Serbian language are particularly important.
- Computer Skills (Required) - Word processing (Microsoft Word), spreadsheet (Microsoft Excel), e-mail (Microsoft Outlook).
- Interpersonal Skills (Required) – Proven ability to work professionally, constructively and collaboratively as part of team, meet deadlines, communicate effectively, and deal with diverse partners (including high-level government officials, entrepreneurs and international donors) in a challenging environment.
- Self-Motivation and Guidance (Required) – Strong individual initiative and ability to manage daily activities and achieve expected results with or without direct oversight.
Please send electronic applications, including ONLY a CV and cover letter, to email@example.com by January 15, 2020 no later than 4:00 PM. Please indicate the position title in the subject line. No telephone inquiries, please. Finalists will be contacted.
Chemonics is an equal opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, age, or other legally protected characteristics.